fbpx
Business infrastructure

The renovation of the Budapest-Belgrade railway line has begun

The development will boost both the Hungarian national economy and green transportation tech, while Hungarian-Chinese and Hungarian-Serbian relations will also expand.

The focus of Hungarian transport development efforts in the next 10–15 years will clearly be on railway, and one of the most important investments here is the modernization and capacity expansion of the Budapest-Belgrade railway line, Minister of Innovation and Technology László Palkovics said on Friday at Kiskunhalas.

In the future, a total of about HUF 6 trillion worth of railway developments is expected in the country, of which about HUF 2 trillion will be allocated for the development of rolling stock and HUF 4 trillion for transport infrastructure, he said.

The modernization includes several investments, such as the renovation and electrification of the more than 13-kilometer Szeged-Röszke railway line, the creation of a new tram line between Szeged and Hódmezővásárhely and the renovation of the Röszke line. By 2025, the government will dedicate some HUF 30 billion to strengthening the competitiveness of fixed-track freight transport, László Palkovics said.

Róbert Homolya, President and CEO of MÁV Zrt., stated that the Hungarian state is financing 85 percent of the investment with a loan and the remaining 15 percent with its own resources. He called the loan agreement provided by China’s Eximbank “favorable and secure.”

The modernization of the railway line is also important because it helps the climate goal set by the European Union, according to which carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced by 90 percent by 2050, Homolya said.

As a result of the development, travel times between the two capitals of Budapest and Belgrade could be reduced from the current 8 hours to 3.5 hours; long-distance trains will be able to travel between the capital and Kelebia in less than an hour, and suburban passengers in Budapest can expect a reduction of up to 20 minutes when traveling to Kunszentmiklós-Tass.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button