fbpx
Culture & Art

St. Stephen’s Hall can now be seen in Buda Castle

The masterpiece of jeweler Károly Bachruch, the so-called bust of St Stephen of Kalocsa, is on display in St Stephen's Hall of Buda Castle until the end of May 2022.

Since August, the ornate historical room of the Palace of Buda Castle, St. Stephen’s Hall, which was the first to be reconstructed as part of the National Hauszmann Program, is open to the public, Várkapitányság said in a statement sent to MTI.

The room was designed by Alajos Hauszmann and won the Grand Prize at the 1900 Paris World Exhibition. The richly decorated room was completely destroyed in World War II but was rebuilt according to the original plans down to the smallest detail as part of the National Hauszmann Program.

Among other things, the exhibition in August included a large bust of St Stephen, made in Rome in 1635, which was on display in Budapest for the first time since its creation. Its pedestal was made by the greatest sculptor and architect of the period, Giovanni Lorenzo Bernini. It has been replaced by a bust of St. Stephen’s by the master jeweler Károly Bachruch. The work was first shown to the public at the National Exhibition of 1896 and is now on display until the end of May.

The bust is covered with a gilded coronation mantle, and its headpiece of silver plates is decorated with a replica of the Holy Crown. The precious stones and pearls used to adorn the crown were selected on the basis of those found on the original crown, including several small sapphires, several genuine pearls, rubies, an amethyst and a topaz. The sculpture was made from 48 kilograms of silver and 2 kilograms of gold by the master jeweler.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button