Four Hungarian projects competed in the final of the international Architizer A+Awards, with Paris Courtyard (Párisi Udvar) winning an audience award in the Architecture and Preservation category.
Located at Ferenciek square in Budapest, the original residential and office building was called the Brudern House after Baron József Brudern who had commissioned the building in the early 19th century. Downtown Savings Bank purchased the lot of the then destroyed building in 1906 and built its own residential/office center based on the designs of Henrik Schmahl. The building features extensive work from Hungary’s famous Zsolnay factory and is one of the largest ceramic-clad buildings in Europe.
Slowly abandoned in the 1980s and 90s, a long renovation finally took place, starting in 2015 with plans by Archikon Architects. The building reopened as a 110-room luxury hotel in 2019, part of The Unbound Collection by Hyatt.
Still covered with Zsolnay tiles and with elements characteristic of Arabic, Moorish and Gothic architecture, the glass-domed passage, which once held shops, is now the hotel’s reception area and café. The new Paris Courtyard pays homage to both the past and present, combining a mix of styles with modern engineering to create a perfect luxury hotel.
Visitors who are not guests of the hotel are welcome to come in to view the interior of the building.
As to other entries from Hungary, in the Religious Buildings and Monuments category, the church of Pope John Paul II in Páty, based on the plans of Robert Gutowski, was a finalist, while the Debrecen International School, designed by the BORD Architect Studio, was among the finalists in the Architecture and Learning category. Lastly, the BINN, a concrete garbage bin designed by VPI Beton, was one of the finalists in the Outdoor Products and Materials category.