Géza Gorka (1894-1971) is a diverse virtuoso of 20th-century Hungarian ceramic art. His works include art deco and folk ceramics, Haban-inspired and modern pieces, vessels and sculptures, table designs and large-scale outdoor works.
He has won prestigious professional awards and commercial successes at home and around the world. Gorka was also called the Hungarian Picasso by contemporary foreign visitors.
Gorka visited Picasso when he exhibited with a Hungarian team in Vallauris in 1959. Picasso was in Vallauris, a town on the French Riviera famous for its ancient pottery tradition, after World War II. It was here that the owners of the Madoura workshop allowed Picasso to experiment with clay. In his home in Nógrádverőce, Gorka kept a piece of pottery he received from Picasso on the wall.
Gorka founded several ceramic factories and worked until his last day in his own workshop in Nógrádverőce.
The house of Verőce is today a museum, and Gorka is considered an icon of Hungarian art deco and “retro” ceramic art.
Art collector Balázs Chovanecz spent 15 years looking for and collecting more than a thousand pieces of Géza Gorka’s work. An exhibit of this collection can be viewed from July 15 to August 15 in the Kieselbach Gallery.